Monday, July 21, 2014

Vegan Reuben Bowl

Reuben sandwiches are popular these days, right? Or is it just a Portland thing? I wanted to make something that was sort of a reuben, with a twist, in a bowl. And, I wanted a thousand island dressing for it that didn't contain mayo, even the vegan kind. Here's what I came up with. There was a lot of "num-numming" at the table that night.

Because I have a small kitchen, and a silly little glass top stove that reminds me of a toy, I'm having to rethink the way I cook and the number of pots and pans I use. My recipes from here on will likely be done in a far simpler way than you're used to me cooking. I was the Queen of Using Practically Everything when we lived in Taos. Now I'm becoming the Princess of Simplicity. Maybe this is a good thing.


Reuben Bowl
serves 2

2-4 gold potatoes
2 cups kale or other greens, chopped
1 cup sauerkraut
2 vegan sausages
Cashew Thousand Island Dressing (below)

Wash and cut the potatoes into one inch cubes, cover with water, and put them on the stove to boil.
While the potatoes cook, chop the greens and place them in a large colander.
Add the whole sausages to the boiling potatoes about two minutes before they're done cooking.
When the potatoes are ready, pull out the sausages and cut them into bite sized pieces.
Using the lid to your pot to keep the potatoes in place, pour only the hot water over the greens in the colander to wilt them.
Leave the potatoes in the pot and coarsely mash them by hand, adding a little salt, pepper, and plant-milk if you like.
In wide bowls, arrange layers of potatoes, greens, and sausage bites. Top with sauerkraut and a generous dollop of Cashew Thousand Island. Serve with extra pepper and maybe a little Dijon mustard if you have it.

Cashew Thousand Island Dressing

1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked 20 minutes or more
1/4 cup ketchup
2 T water
2 T rice, white, or apple cider vinegar
1 T + 3 T sweet pickle relish

Drain and rinse the soaked cashews. Place all ingredients, except the 3 T relish, in a blender or food processor and blend on high speed until smooth. Stir in the remaining relish by hand.